History

The old name of Chiayi city is “Zhu Luoshan” and there are two different versions of its origin. One is that it comes from the transliteration of the name of aboriginal’s village, which was called as “Tirosen” village by Dutch. The other reason is that mountains on east side of Chiyi city stand in a row, therefore the sound “row” became its name. Chiayi city is also known as city of peach because of its shape in the past. Now the area around our fountain looked like the end of a peach so citizens usually call it “De-A Wee” (end of a peach).

In 1661, Zheng Chenggong came to Taiwan and banished the Dutch. He established the first Chinese government and planed Taiwan as a province with two counties which are separated by Salt creek. Chiayi belonged to the northern county at that time. In 1683, Taiwan was taken by Qing Dynasty and the emperor planed Taiwan as a province with three counties. The southern county once under Zheng Chenggon’s rule was divided as Taiwan county and Fenshang county. The northern one was renamed as Zhu Luo county and its government was set in Kari Xing which now it’s Tainan county. In 1794, The Zhu Luo county was move to Zhu Luoshan. This county with wooden fence is the predecessor of Chiayi city. Years later was rebuild as a castle. In 1727, the governor renewed its gate with new names, built sewers and forts. In 1735, The governor planted bamboos around the castle for further protections. In 1786, Lin Shuang-wen revolute against the Qing Dynasty and Zhu Luo county had been besieged for 10 months. On 3rd November 1787, after the battle the emperor changed the name from Zhu Luo to Chiayi (in Chinese Chiayi means “awarding for the loyalty”) for rewarding citizens’ courage. In 1885, Taiwan was officially regarded as a territory of Quing Dynasty and two years later the government was more specifically reconstructed, but the county government was still in Chiayi.

In 1895, after the Sino-Japanese War Qing Dynasty made the Treaty of Shimonoseki with Japan, and Taiwan was ceded to Japan. Japan set a new government in Taiwan under its rule; however the name of government had changed many times until Taiwan Restoration in1945. In 1906 all Chiayi’s city wall collapsed in a big earthquake except the east gate. It gave Japan government the opportunity to make urban planning and rename urban districts. After the reconstruction Chiayi became the most modernized city in Taiwan. Business and transportations started to flourish. In 1907 The Alishan railway was built. In 1920 after the 8th reform Chiayi became the communalistic Chiayi Street for autonomies. In 1930, Chiayi Street officially became Chiayi city and it’s the Chiayi city we know nowadays.

Latest update:2016/10/24 下午 02:47:42